Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Finally Poetry

We're finally starting our poetry unit in English class. Yes, I said finally.
Call me crazy, but I love poetry. I love reading it, writing it, and watching it. Yep, watching it. Have you ever heard of slam poetry? No? Then you're deprived. Because it's amazing(ly hilarious!). Below is a video of my favorite slam poet, Taylor Mali. This is one of my favorite's slam poems. So press play. Please :)



Poetry- Definitions courtesy of UrbanDictionary.com
Yes, I used Urban Dictionary. The definitions are much more interesting and insightful. Don't believe me? Look up poetry in the dictionary. You'll be bored.

1. Good Poetry- Indirectly stating what you mean or directly stating something that parallels what you really mean. Adding depth and making the reader use their wit through parallels in indirect examples allows for powerful connections and is characterized as poetic writing. Commonly created by patience in organization and witty connections.

2. A scramble of words that may or may not make sense to the reader, but always means something to someone.


This definition even had some poems to look at. How nice:)

FIRE AND ICE BY ROBERT FROST
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if I had to perish twice.
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

WARNING BY SHEL SILVERSTEIN
Inside everybody's nose
There lives a sharp-toothed snail.
So if you stick your finger in,
He bite off your nail.
Stick it farther up inside,
And he might bite your ring off.
Stick it all the way, and he
May bite the whole darn thing off.





No comments:

Post a Comment